Katinka at Unquietly Me has nominated me for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! Thank you so much! One thing that I love so much about the blogging community is that it is truly a community. Every day I am more and more thankful to be a part of it.
Now, on to the award!
Here are the rules:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you, linking back to their site.
- Put the award logo on your blog.
- Answer the ten questions sent to you.
- Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer.
- Nominate ten blogs.
Ten questions from Katinka:
1. If there was a zombie apocalypse and you could only take one book with you as you frantically pack up and flee, what book would you pack in your survival kit?
I have had the hardest time with this question, because I would obviously want to bring a book I wouldn’t get bored with. It’s a tie between The Bible (which is just so long, it would keep me occupied for a while) and American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is just such a fantastic story, I could probably read it over and over.
2. You may have noticed the hashtag #weneeddiversebooks in various social media platforms. How would you define “diverse books”?
When I think about diversity in books, I think about the fact that there is a whole spectrum of people in this world and they are not all given fair marketshare in books. For example, I don’t think that there are many books featuring trans people. There has recently been more of a push for books featuring protagonists of different races, and more books featuring strong female leads. This diversity is important not just so that people can find books featuring characters that they relate to, but also so everyone can learn a little something about people who may not be the same as them.
3. Name a “diverse book” you’ve read this year.
I am currently in the middle of reading Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. Not only is it a book with a female protagonist, it is also about people from Iran, and events in that country. It is a really interesting read.
4. Name a book you’ve read by a person of color.
My favorite book that I have read by a person of color is Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I have not read it in a few years, and I definitely need to read it again, but I remember really enjoying it and thinking that he was an extremely good author.
5. What’s your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV show is Community. I love that it’s so quotable, and there are tons of inside jokes, some of which don’t pay off until a couple episodes later. It’s also possible to re-watch episodes. There have been times that I have found details that I’ve missed in previous recipes. This show also makes me laugh more than just about any show I watch.
6. Which blog platform do you use and why?
I use WordPress. I think I originally picked it because I had used it in the past, and liked it. I liked the different themes that are offered. Now, I am glad that I use it because I am learning how to code/build websites, and part of that is learning how to code in the WordPress platform!
7. Are you a cat or dog lover?
Honestly, both. I know that’s kind of a wishy-washy answer, but I think that they both offer benefits. They also both have draw-backs. I am a dog lover, because I think that they love unconditionally, and it’s nice having a companion to go on walks with. I am a cat lover, because they are more independent and they are fun to watch play. They also generally like the cuddle more, which is fun! Also, where I am currently living, we can’t have dogs, so we have two adorable cats!
8. What’s the first line in the book you’re currently reading?
“It was a nice day. All the days had been nice. There had been rather more than seven of them so far, and rain hadn’t been invented yet. But clouds massing east of Eden suggested that the first thunderstorm was on its way, and it was going to be a big one.” This is from Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. (I know that the question said the first line, but I think that this opening paragraph is really funny and charming, so I bent the rules a little!)
9. Do you ever buy books in hardcover?
Not only do we buy books in hardcover, we also buy some books that are leather-bound. I love having a physical book to read.
10. Who is your most one-clicked author?
I don’t really one-click anyone (I don’t read e-books much), but I think it’s pretty safe to say that I read Neil Gaiman more than anyone else. I also love John Green.
Bonus Question: Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Chris Pine or Chris Hemsworth? Why, where and how?
Chris Pratt. He seems like he’s a really nice guy, and he’s adorable! But, he’s married (and so am I) so the why and how are kind of irrelevant. 🙂
Now for my 10 questions!
1. What is your favorite meal of the day?
2. If you could be any character is any show/movie/book, who would you want to be?
3. If you could have your dream job, what would it be and why?
4. What is your favorite and least favorite thing about blogging?
5. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
6. Are you a morning person or night owl?
7. Since this is the sisterhood of world bloggers, who is your favorite female character from a book, TV show or movie?
8. When is your favorite time of day to blog?
9. What are 5 things you love about yourself?
10. Who is your favorite author?
And the blogs I choose are:
- Uniquely Me and You Blog
- Lizi Loves U
- Just Aryan
- Shop Girl Anonymous
- The Ninth Life
- I Wuv Books
- Discourse of Femininity
- Book Lover Reviews
- A Rented Kitchen
- Spiral Spun