A recent trend I have been loving is subscription boxes. I love that you can pay a small amount of money (usually) and get surprised with new products to try out! I love there is basically a subscription box for anyone: there are boxes for men, women, those who love makeup, nerds, foodies, travelers, athletes, and the list goes on!
For about the last year, I subscribed to ipsy, which is a make up subscription service, which provides monthly make up bags filled with 4-5 samples. I liked ipsy at first, but the longer I had it, I didn’t like the samples I was getting. After re-taking their quiz to see if that would help me get better products. After two bad eyeliners (grey and purple… ick!), purple lip gloss (which definitely doesn’t work with my fair skin), two nail polishes that chipped almost right away, and a tweezers that didn’t work, I decided to look elsewhere.
This is when I found the elf Play Beautifully beauty bundle. Their service is bi-monthly, costs $19.99 (so, about the same as ipsy), and contains about $40 of full-sized products in every box! I was sold. It helped that I have used elf products for years, and I love their stuff! Not only do they provide good products, they are also really affordable, and 100% cruelty-free! I was so excited for my first beauty bundle! And, I was not disappointed!
I love how fancy their packaging is! I love that there is pink tissue paper, and a cute little card introducing the beauty bundle.
Wrapped in the pink tissue paper is a fabric bag, which contained all of the products. Even though the bag is not as nice as the ones ipsy sends, I can only use so many makeup bags, so it’s nice to be able to have a simple bag I could use for all kinds of different purposes. Since elf stands for “eyes lips face”, here are the eye products I got in my beauty bundle:
- Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in Black: I like that this is basically like a marker, so it was pretty easy to control. One of the bad things about it, however, was that it dried out really fast…
- Waterproof Mascara Top Coat: This top coat makes any mascara waterproof, which is such a good idea. The unfortunate thing is that I generally wear waterproof mascara, so I don’t really need it.
- Smudge Pot in Gotta Glow: This is basically a cream eye shadow. It’s not really pigmented, but it’s nice to add just a little glow and shimmer.
- Eye Refresh: This is supposed to reduce dark under eye circles and bags. I am not really sure if it did, but I love how it feels when I apply it, and I think it does reduce bags and darkness a little, so I love it!
- Little Black Beautybook, Warm Edition: This is an eye shadow palette, and, for the most part, I love it. The eye shadows are pretty well pigmented. I don’t like foam applicators, but I can use an eye shadow brush I already own.
They didn’t really give many lip products, but I am okay with that. This is what I got:
- Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Tiki Torches: I love this product! It doesn’t feel weird on my lips, and the color is really similar to my natural lip color. It adds a little shimmer, but it’s not overwhelming.
- Matte Lip Color in Natural: As the shade title suggests, this is also really close to my natural lip color. I don’t generally wear lip stick that is close to my natural lip color, but this is a nice change from my normal lip colors. It pairs well with the lip gloss stick.
Finally, the face products that came in my beauty bundle:
- Makeup Remover Pen: This is basically a felt-tip pen that can erase makeup mistakes without erasing all of the makeup. I don’t use it all the time, but I really like the concept.
- Shine Eraser: These are sheets that can blot off excess oil, which is something I really like to use. I love that these are made of paper, and I can honestly say that they work really well!
- Makeup Lock and Seal: This is a liquid that I can use to set my makeup. It is not a step that I would do on a daily basis, but when I have used it, I’ve really liked how it helped my make up stay put.
- Pressed Mineral Bronzer in Baked Peach: I have really fair skin, so I don’t generally wear bronzer. This one, however, its really nice and light. I like that I can wear it and not look fake.
- Face Primer: This is by far my favorite item in the beauty bundle. I love that this product can fill in fine lines and it has SPF 20! It makes my skin feel really soft. The only weird thing about it is that there is a texture in it sort of like the beads in an exfoliator.
I am really happy with the products that arrived with my first beauty bundle! I am excited to see what comes in the next one I get!
Do you use any subscription services? Let me know about it in the comments!